0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Could you still play if your pinky was cut off?

Towelie
Fret hand? I guess I could, but I'd have to re-learn a ton of my favorite songs.
Cheekychuck
Quote:
Are we talking ‘little finger’? Pinky sounds a bit wussy

Yes, the wee finger on the fretboard hand. Could drop a couple digits on the pluck hand though.
Marko1960
You should use all four fingers of your left hand, spread over 4 frets, this minimises hand movement
just3boyz
Not having your pinky would be horrible. i hate to be “Mr. Mom” over here but neglecting your pinky can lead to some serious issues with your hand down the road. Marko1960 had a great point. using all four fingers actually minimizes the work load on each finger and it is “healthier” for your hand. trust me, start working out that pinky. you'll be glad you did when you're sixty years old and you're still spankin your bass!
I have no use of my fret ring finger. Doctor said I would never be able to play guitar. I bought ome as soon as I recovered. Been playing with 3 fingers for 15 years. Dosent seem to be an issue. That being said I dont think I would be able to play without a pinky if I had all 4 working finhers. Too much stress on the hand.

But if my pinky was cut off….. id still play. Leslie West from Mountain only uses 2 fingers.
zorya
Depends on which hand I guess! But yeah I'm sure it's possible, it would just be a little harder.
Cheekychuck
Quote:
I have no use of my fret ring finger. Doctor said I would never be able to play guitar. I bought ome as soon as I recovered. Been playing with 3 fingers for 15 years. Dosent seem to be an issue. That being said I dont think I would be able to play without a pinky if I had all 4 working finhers. Too much stress on the hand. But if my pinky was cut off….. id still play. Leslie West from Mountain only uses 2 fingers.

That's impressive. So you just use it for dead notes? .

And Marko, you are correct. I am trying to work pinky in and build up its strength and stamina.
Leiria
How do you build its strength? I dont use it very often mainly because its weak
Cheekychuck
Quote:

Doing scales and walking bass lines forces me to use all fingers, and just keep going until finger feels like it will fall off. I find on songs, that i cheat and use only three unless i need to stretch for that note.
IamMark
Quote:
Switch hands when you're doing… other “exercises”.

Reply to this thread